06-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #18
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Well, I guess we just disagree on what Dr ColorChip is good for. I use it on deep, down to metal chips almost exclusively. In two years of ownership, I'd guess that I've had at least 6 such chips, maybe more? I just can't be in and out of a body shop that much. I'm not sure how much time and money professional-level work would've cost me at this point, but I'm still on my first $39 bottle of DCC. Of course, the body shop guys would do a better job, but I swear I would probably just get another rock chip on the way home from a respray. If it was just a matter of paying the money to get it done right once, then I would gladly do it - but it's a constant battle with these rock chips, and it's going to last the life of the car.

That said, I think you're going to have the same problem with any new BMW (and possibly any new car, period), so I'm not sure how a trade will solve your problems. Except to start from scratch, so to speak.
That would be the tempory answer...start from scratch and have a NEW lci facelifted 1 series. I don't think it could get worse than the chips I've gotten in my E88. As stated earlier, my 1988 325i I've owned for 13+ years and have never recieved a stone chip worse than the ones on my 2011 BMW. The largest ones are pencil point sized stone chips.

Still not sure what I'm going to do in the future, I have lots of time to continue to weight out my decision on a new 2013 E88.

On a side note:
I had my car airbrushed professionally this weekend and got the car back yesterday. I'm very pleased with the results
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)
Appreciate 0