06-13-2017, 08:47 PM   #14
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post
Exposed CF on entire panels on most normal cars are usually tacky. On an e82, I believe painted panels are the way to go. If I ever come to the point of replacing hood, roof, and trunk, I'm going with painted CF panels
I hear you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kturbos View Post
Yeah paint it. Just looks too ricey.
Noted

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
Completely exposed looks good, but painted with just a bit exposed would look better.

I've thought of doing something similar with my own rear diffuser, much like I did on my E46 M3.

I love that car, and clearly everyone else does too lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I've already said what I think, but that second pic makes it look not so good. If it looks anything like that IRL, then I'd say paint it. In other pics I've seen I think it looks good with your Carbon Black paint. Kind of subtle, like you couldn't really tell for sure that it was different until you walked right up on it, and then you see the beautiful carbon fiber. Decisions, decisions. Go conservative... or not. You decide. Haha
It's completely dependent on the light really; in some light, it's very obvious, in other light it's more subtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
It's such a shame to paint over real cf.

In Australia it's a no brainer because a cf hood isn't street legal, so unless you want unnecessary police attention you need to hide it.

That exact hood is on my shopping list, but I'm thinking of wrapping it rather than painting it so it can be restored to CF if sold.
I've heard this before, mostly due to concerns of decapitation right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Wrapping it is a great idea. You can reverse it if you want at a later date.
Would be a good idea if there was vinyl that was an exact match for clear-coated carbon black haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
I'd probably go with paint it because it'd look cleaner.
I agree it's cleaner than wrap. I'd like to wrap the whole car in ppf one day though.

Alright well judging by the landslide poll and the comments here, I think it's pretty clear what I need to do! I'm going to find a shop nearby and get to work on this. Thanks for all the input guys!