View Single Post
      11-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #52
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Was reported earlier that it was initially the purpose of the ///M division to leave these side vents effectively open. However, development apparently struggled with getting the alignment/rigidity right with opened vents. As time for development was tight (and additional crash tests likely would be required, I assume), the plan was shelved. Missed chance, but time was of the essence. Would have been nice though. Anyway, good luck with your project.

"Was at M studio this week as part of my ED and got to talk for to a lead engineer for quite a while; He clarified that these front fender areas that now suggest the vents, originally where meant to have real functional vents. They'd be even bigger then the ~2cm they are now. (Thus cutting them open in the shape they are now would apparently not provide much aerodynamic benefit i.e. release significant wheel well air pressure). However they couldn't get the fender sheet stamping molds accurate enough within the allotted time/budget. Particularly the two fenders sides exactly mirroring each other in shape proved too hard to achieve with functional vents. Pity, but I do respect that they either do it right or not at all."
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...87&postcount=7
Further to my earlier post, this is a render of what BMW M had in mind for the 1M, but was abandoned in the end because of tight time-constraints. Too bad it did not come to fruition. And the carbon roof: no time and sufficient budget for crash tests. Yeah, there was potential for an even more impressive car than the final version we know, c.q. drive.

Name:  1M_Render.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  231.4 KB