View Single Post
      04-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #11
elciddragon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer74 View Post
I have a 128i coupe with the sport package and I find the ride to be still quite compliant. The 17" tires with the stiff run-flat sidewalls make the ride a but stiffer than my previous car on 17" wheels (Mazda3). When these tires wear out, I will definitely go non-runflat.

You were absolutely right about wet traction in the 128i. I can take off in the rain pretty aggressively and the car just goes without drama. My FWD Mazda would be wildly spinning wheels (well, one of them). I haven't driven a 135i in the wet but I am sure the 300 ft-lbs of torque at 1,400 would make this more dramatic.
Definitely one of my favorite parts was that I could focus more on exploiting the engine rather than feathering the throttle in, though I'm sure I could get used to the extra power...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhatimay View Post
In short, I think the 135i offers a very sporty feel and great handling while still being comfortable on most all roads. The power is excellent, and I wouldn't be concerned with having too much. Plus you get 6-piston brakes, tighter suspension, and some other nice features as well. Hope this helps.

Tim
The brakes were definitely a step up, and the standard 135i look and the extra goodies like xenon lights that I would want to add anyways almost negate the base price difference. Good feedback, and definitely another point of comparison since I have not really been in any cars with aftermarket spring/dropped heavily so knowing the 135i is somewhere in between is reasurring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I think that if you swapped out the tires on the either of them, you would like the ride better. However, my vote goes for the 135. I love feeling in tune with the road. I drive everywhere (30k miles right now....) route 3, 495, route 2, 95. I don't tend to have problems. I did notice once I got different tires that the car does ride differently. The brakes are incredible, everyone who rode with me in auto-x was supremely impressed. Even if you're leaning to the 135 over the 128, wouldn't it be better to go with the 135, instead of the 128 and maybe regretting it later?
You make a good point, I think it would be hard to regret down...but definitely would be jealous if I pulled up next to a 135! When I changed the tires in my Audi to some nice quality Michelin Pilot Sports the difference was night and day. Grip increased tremendously beyond the limits that the standard Goodyears would be squealing for grip. Sounds like I will be looking for any excuse to go through my first set of RFTs to get to some good rubber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmasterx View Post
I have a 128i manual with sport package and I find perfectly fine for me. More torque would be nice, but it is certainly enough for my sporty driving. I plan to do some autocrossing this year, but I suspect it will work fine for that as well (with the exception of poor tires).

I think the 17" wheels on the 128i help significantly with making the MA roads more bearable. It would probably be even better if the run flats were switched out for something with a more pliable sidewall.

I would say that the sport package is a must on either car for the seats alone.
The CA was adamant that the 17" vs 18" on the cars made no difference and it was the suspension, but I thought it was definitely the extra width of the tires adding to tramlining and also the slightly more compliant tire helping to deaden some of the imperfections.
Appreciate 0