03-21-2013, 04:56 AM   #31
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135i View Post
Dackelone, just for clarification on the manual trans fluid 6 speed. How much fluid do i need to put in after draining? Since i dont have a lift in my garage, i only lifted the front end by 14 inches and left the rear end on the ground just enough room for me to drain the fluid then as i was filling them up, it appears that i can put as much as 2 quarts but then again i recalled my conversation with Bavarian autosport, they told me that i should only use a little over a quart. So what is the right amount. In fact, i only put about a little over 1.25 quart and the car seems driving perfect. Please let me know if its necessary to fill add more.

thanks

You MUST have the car LEVEL when changing the transmission fluid. N55's hold just over a liter of fluid while N54's hold just over 2L's. BMW spec's MTF-LT-3 for the 135i.

Which Redline fluid did you use in your trans?

I have been using Redline ATF-D4 in my manual trans - and it works just fine. ATF-D6 can also be used. D6 is a slightly thinner fluid than D4.

When you drain your old trans fluid out... yopu keep adding new fresh fluid in the fill hole UNTIL it starts to spill out of the fill hole. THIS is why your car must be level with the ground. Perhaps your trans is low on fluid ?

For the diff.... you need a fluid extractor to "suck out" the old thick diff oil. It holds about 1.2 Liters. BMW spec's Castrol SAF-XJ (or XO)fully synthetic 75w140 GL5 diff oil. I use the SAF-XJ bc it is also good for BMW M lsd's while also ok for bmw open diff's like on our cars.

See my post #70...

DIY: manual transmission and diff fluid change
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...+change&page=4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
I am keen to replace my 6mt fluid soon, I recall in the past when reading a diy it stated you shouldn't really re-use the drain plugs.

What's the consensus on this and does anyone have the part #'s? (I have never replaced them on previous cars)
I re-used my old drain plugs. I did buy new ones, but I did not feel I needed to use a new one. Btw... these plugs weren't cheap! ~$20 each from what I remember.

Most important thing to do when changing trans fluid is open the FILL HOLE FIRST. The last thing you want to do is drain all the old fluid out and then realize you can not open the fill hole plug!!

Btw... here is what my old manual trans fluid looked like...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722492
Appreciate 0