View Single Post
      03-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #22
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2

So I went ahead and did this, added a new headunit swapped in some wires and mounted the bluetooth mic. The results were stunning, with a few funny quirks. Without coding I can completely control and use my Ipod through the headunit. I can place calls through the headunit as well. People have reported everything sounds great.

Here are the negatives however. The steering wheel controls are a little funky and will definitely require coding. The 1M steering wheel has the audio source button below the M mode button, but this mod reminded me of my 128i steering wheel which had the source change button where the M mode button is now, and below that was a climate control button. After performing the mod, the M button now doubles as the M mode and source change button, both actions happening simultaneously when depressed. The source change button now performs like the climate change button. That's not all, the ambient noises not controlled by the volume on the headunit (ie: the gong, telephone noises, and voice command noises) are all incredibly loud, ear drum shatteringly so. Even with the gong set to -5 I dread hearing it, it's damnnn annoying. Even set to the lowest volume it's comparable to the highest volume it used to have. If you press the voice command button on the steering wheel, first the noise letting you know you can say a command is ear drum shatteringly loud and the woman shouts at you in German, and she too, is incredibly loud. I find a lot of this rather funny, but if I don't get coding down in a month's time I probably will go crazy lol.

Probably the biggest problem with this modification was that the original wiring for the 3.5mm aux jack that came originally with the car, had a 4 pin connector while the new aux/usb panel I wanted installed had a 6 pin connector for the same wire. The defied logic, and I was rather happy I didn't do this install myself, and my installer was able to altar the oem parts I had purchased to force everything to fit.

All in all, I now just need to get some coding done and my car won't be distinguishable from a car that had usb/bluetooth installed from the factory to begin with.