View Single Post
      10-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #18
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurEinser View Post
Good to know, thats kind of bs in my opinion because they seem to fail together and exude the same symptoms.
Actually, they don't happen together, and they feel very different when they fail.

A faulty injector, plug, or coil can and most often does result in shaking, because at least one cylinder is not firing, thus throwing the engine off balance.

An HPFP failure often has no symptoms, or will go into a lower power limp mode, that doesn't result in shaking.

Some people have had long crank on startup, and many attribute this to a failing HPFP. However, many of us, me included, have had the long crank issue with no failed HPFP.

A failed injector can happen in any car. Once the injector is replaced it's not likely that it will happen again. There hasn't been nearly the same level of failure with injectors as there is with the HPFP, so BMW has no reason to extend the warranty past what they give us.
Some people are just overly concerned and upset about everything in their BMW as a result of the HPFP issue.
The concern about the HPFP is warranted, and BMW has extended the warranty on that part, and they've had a recall to replace original HPFP's with a redesigned part. Since then there has been a marked decline in the number of HPFP failures. So far so good.
If someone can't stand the thought of potential future problems with their BMW, then they should sell it.
Be advised though, other than the HPFP issue, BMW uses the same engines and parts throughout their line of cars.
So, you may want to stay away from BMW altogether.

Me, I love my BMW's and accept that mechanical failures can and do happen in every brand of automobile.
Appreciate 0