01-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #20
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dowager Countess View Post
i spoke with TC and I feel much better about going with his system. i like that he actually offers a bunch of spring rates and i think i'm even kind of warming up to going with an adjustable coil-over system.

what would be the groups thoughts on doing TC's recommended spring rates- (350 front 500 rear with the stock bushings or 600 rear with the M3 sub frame bushings with a non adjustable strut? sacrilege? i don't want to ask TC any stupid questions- but as I've said before- I'll probably just find a place where I like what the car does and leave it there.

am i over thinking this? thanks- it's just confusing because i'm not yet totally fluent in the BMW suspension dynamics and i'm hearing different things from Turner than from TC and from reading posts here.

Sorry to be so needy. You guys are great as always.

Craig
From the top, few people know as much about properly tuning dampers as TC. His strut setups, from my experience, have always been light years ahead of the competition when it comes to non-independent reservoir setups. I've used his kits on every performance car I've owned, with the exception of my M5 where it wasn't offered Amusingly, the M5 and my Ground Control coilover setup I had on it convinced me that I don't want to own another car where TCK isn't an option.

If you listen TC, and set the struts/ride height to his specs(near full soft for street), the car will be more comfortable than stock on the street. You will completely eliminate the crashy nature of the stock suspension, while more smoothly absorbing the inconsistencies of the road surface. In terms of going through the turns, the car will be borderline unrecognizable. Flat and controlled, while maintaining traction even over bumps and imperfections mid turn.

Sounds like you are zeroing in on my setup. I'm currently running TCK DA at 350/600, with M3 subframe bushings. Everyone who has taken it for a spin so far has been astounded with the transformation, including a nice gentleman with a E90 330 on JRZs. They hold up for the long term as well. I know quite a few people in the E46 M3 community that have had them for well over 100,000 miles, with thousands of track miles interspersed.

Turner doesn't sell TCK, so there is no reason for them to encourage such a purchase.