View Single Post
      02-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #53
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
I am merely stating that added ethanol is not going to cause engine damage on the fuel alone, so long as the person properly takes steps that insures their engine is tuned for such fuels and components withstanding.

All vehicles, no matter with straight E-85, or 0% ethanol, will still need preventative maintenance. Fuel system components will degrade over time no matter what. The fact that hundreds of thousands of people use, and have used, >10% ethanol in their vehicles for many years is proof that it is a safe additive / alternative to standard fuel. Are there some problems with added ethanol? Sure. There are problems with every type of fuel. If adding oil to the gas tank for some lubricity is your way of fighting off some of the effects, then good for you. Is it needed? No.
Yet you are implying that it will have zero effect on "components" in native state, and so is acceptable for use in the second paragraph. The aspect that it is "tuned for such fuels and components" would be a valid point,if that were the point you were making.

Yet one of the parties in the lawsuit against the EPA to prevent just lowly E15 from hitting the market was representing BMW group amongst many other auto makers.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/e...e15-fuel-blend

So youre also implying that you know better than the manufacturers who are spending money and effort to prevent E15 from coming to fruition.

Im not denying that EVERYTHING needs PM. But re-read my posts. Im not using additives to compensate for Ethanol, rather as an UCL, lubricity enhancer for the moving parts (irrelevant to the presence of ethanol in any concentration), fuel stabilizer and selecting adds that survive combustion so that they can cycle around and help clean valve deposits that dont get washed down given DI.

None of this means that there is inherent compatibility of fuel system components for ethanol content higher than 10%. That is the case, and it is verified time and time again. If you think otherwise, well fine. But it doesnt make it the case... Im not attacking you, I am disagreeing and stating from a chemical and a manufacturer standpoint why it is not acceptable to be used, and why the use of additives is an apples and oranges comparison.
Appreciate 0