View Single Post
      07-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

For those of you whom are out of warranty, but still are having issues:
The shim I speak of is on the clip that the black and yellow twisted wires connect to on the BST.

There is a metal clip on the BST that shorts the ignition pins so that there is no chance of an electrical discharge - which could accidentally sett off the BST explosive charge in your hands. There are contacts on the BST connector that the shorting pins will also touch and short during insertion. The problem is there isa shield that covers the contacts on the plug that I believe gets broken off (or is very easily broken) if you have un-hooked the connector to the BST. This makes the connector and thusly the pins on the BST short out and remain inoperable, which will throw a code and not allow the BST to operate.

The way I fixed this: I took a thin piece of electrical tape, (and maybe also thin slice of un-corrugated cardboard for structural rigidity) and taped it over the shorting contacts on the plug. So, when you insert the BST signal cable fully, the connection isn't shorted, and the BST will operate normally.

The CORRECT way to fix this would be to order a new cable, and replace it in the wiring loom. That's expensive and laborious, as you could imagine. An alternate solution is to just replace the plug (which may not be sold separately, though I could be mistaken).

I assume no accountability for this advice, as the ESD Discharge protection that these shorting pins provide will be defeated by my method - which is only applicable during the removal or insertion of the plug. Once it's inserted, everything's safe.

So: Do this when it's humid out, don't wear synthetic clothing, and always be grounded to the car (touch bare metal on the car before and during the insertion)
Appreciate 0