06-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #43
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
You sure about the DRL? My halogens have a small (what looks like a 194) bulb that is the DRL, not high beams at reduced voltage.
The halogens actually do run the high beam at reduced voltage for the DRLs (if enabled). The small 194 bulb located in the high beam reflector is the city light, or parking light in the U.S. On the HIDs, the corona rings are the city lights...aka parking lights.

There are two versions of the OE HIDs, adaptive and non-adaptive. The adaptive lights (standard U.S. HIDs) do not have a halogen high beam at all and instead have a "cornering" light in place of what would normally be a standard high beam. These lights rely solely on the bi-xenon projector for low- and high beam functions, including the flash-to-pass function. The non-adaptive HIDs (not available in the U.S.) use a standard halogen high beam (albeit, in a projector) in addition to the bi-xenon projector. Whether this is only used for flash-to-pass or if it's also used as a high beam supplement to the bi-xenon projector, I'm uncertain. I'm guessing that the latter is true, as this is common practice on other German makes in Europe and the U.K.; e.g., VW and Audi.

Both versions of the OE HIDs have the corona rings implemented at city/parking lights. That being said, the pics posted in this thread of the back of the headlight assembly are confusing. Are we looking at the adaptive or non-adaptive lights? It would seem, from the bulb layout alone, that we're looking at the adaptive lights as I don't see a bulb for the halogen high beam.
Appreciate 0