View Single Post
      11-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #20
Klayfish
Rep
Drives: '11 128i

Bob,
You've nailed it exactly. I agree it's silly to trash Honda. You may not have to like what they build, but if you're into cars, you have to respect what they do. In 4 door, 4 cyl, automatic LX trim, the Accord is the "transportation appliance" most people see it as. Then I decided to go test drive a '13 V6 6spd and it instantly changed my opinion. Just like most of the auto magazines, I was incredibly impressed by it. It does everything very well.

That said, it will never have the pure driving experience the 128i offers. I've owned and driven all kinds of sports cars, and the BMW has a feel with the best of them. Even though I've had some high powered monsters, one of my best driving cars were my Miatas and the BMW has a similar raw driving fun feel.

What do you 128i guys spend per year on maintenance? As I mentioned, I'll DIY oil, filter and brake pad stuff, but anything else will go to an independent mechanic.

So it's why I'm so torn. The Accord is a great car, I agree it's the standard of sporty reliable commuters. But "sporty" is a lot different than an outright sports coupe, which is what I see the 128i as.

Wind Beezes,
Turbo DI is a very impressive technology. I owned a Mini Cooper S, and have always wanted a Mazdaspeed3. But no manufacturer has yet to be able to come up with a solution for carbon build up. And turbos need additional care/maintenance. Given how much I drive, I'd prefer good 'ol port injection which is much less trouble prone. If I drove less, I'd be all over a turbo DI....so many awesome choices in that category. I don't care about the badge on the outside, I'd drive a Yugo if it were super fun.
Appreciate 1