dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW X3 30i-'11 BMW 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post

All that said - There is something very sexy about a 2-seat roadster. If you're doing lots of miles, get a 3er. But if you're after a fun sports car - I've never heard anyone say their sports car is "Too small", "Too Powerful", "Too connected to the road" or "Too nimble". We all sometimes say to ourselves "damn, I wish this ride wasn't so harsh" or "that last modification really did make this thing too loud or too twitchy" - but rarely to other people

The summary is that in descending order of 'pureness' and 'sexy' it's Z4, M3 vert, 1er vert, 3er vert; but in descending order of practicality it'd be 3er/M3, 1er vert, Z4.

You loose a whole lot of practicality by getting only two seats, and you don't necessarily pick up a lot of speed or handling. The z4 is actually not a lot smaller or lighter than a 1er convertible - but it is soo much more sexy & connected to the road.

The standard advice applies: Take both for a test drive, and see if one stands out above the other.

For most people, 2-seats or 4-seats is an either/or mandatory requirement - - so they're not often cross-shopped.
I can definitely concur with the above. I recently went from an '03 Z4 2.5i that I really loved when purchased about eight years ago into an '11 128i. I really liked the Zed, however over time the ride became harsh (due to added coil overs), there was certainly a lack of storage, and it rode lower. That being said, I really am enjoying the 1er cabrio. The N52 has more pep than the M54 in the Z and the ride is comfortable. As a plus, I can drive the 1er to work through traffic and feel as if it is seen by other motorists easier than the Z.
Good luck with the decision!
Appreciate 1
muddtt107.50