12-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #50
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgear View Post
Hi cj. Yes installed already, there is a butterfly looking thing, do I take that off too and do I disconnect the tubes? Happy tks giving
If you look at the installation guide, your shop would have removed the plate that forces the Akra exhaust into "quiet mode" when they installed the wireless kit + flapper (butterfly looking thing). It should be in the box of materials given back to you after the install

If you want to do a comparison of the flapper closed/open, the arm can be pulled out for adjusting. If you pull it out (requires no tools, see below), you can manually control the arm and you can see how the car sounds while idling... (IIRC you do not have power to your wireless kit, which is why I'm suggesting this. Careful you do not burn yourself or breathe toxic exhaust fumes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mmaniac View Post
Hi CJ,

I did adjust it, it's easy to just lying on your back. Just adjust the length of the actuator by turning the threaded rod-end in or out. Just don't forget to tighten locking nut. In my experience you need to take off all 3 nuts on the actuator and disconnect the vacuum line and then turn the whole actuator. I couldn't get the rod end to come of easily and I didn't want to damage linkage.

I have no idea what you mean by 'setting'. The flap is controlled as an on/off or open/closed valve. The trick is to adjust the actuator correctly so it has some travel left while the flap itself is sitting against it's seat.
By "setting" I meant what you described in the second half So you are trying to get the valve closed, without using up all the travel length on the arm? My goal when I was doing this was to make it as tight as possible... I guess your way makes more sense, since when it opens, with more travel length it will hold the flap open better (I don't even know how to describe this process via text. This probably sounds very confusing... But thanks for your info.!)

Regarding your adjusting method... (Also, 3rdgear, this is what I was referring too above). You can simply pop the arm off the actuator/butterfly device. The arm sits on a ball bearing and all you need to do is pull it away from the actuator. Requires no tools. Once it's removed, you can adjust the arm length without feeling like you'll damage the unit. (3rdgear: You shouldn't have to adjust it, but you can now manually move the arm with your hand and see how the car sounds while idling).

Question for folks with working setups: Do your cars ALWAYS start up quietly, even weeks after not starting up the car? Mine seems to lose the stored vacuum after 3 days prompting a very loud startup sequence (IE: red mode start up) until sufficient vacuum is built up to operate white mode. Is this normal?
Appreciate 0