View Single Post
      09-17-2007, 03:46 PM   #32
335i=:)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan-blk/blk-Poplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zba857 View Post
Wow i didn't think people would be bashing the use of CF so much in a 1er forum.:iono:

For all intensive purposes CF is a superior material. Real CF(vacuum bagged) has a higher tensile strength, shearing point, stress loading, safety, least weight, etc., of any material known to man aside from nanotubes. You know what nanotubes are made out of? Carbon. The highest tensile steel will have a high carbon content. There is a reason why CF is so widely accepted in motorsports; It is pound for pound the best material, period. Why do you think it is sooo expensive? Shit, i wouldn't care if the whole car was made out of it and wasn't painted, in fact i would die for that. You guys realize the only reason why you wouldn't mind a CF roof is because BMW implemented that in their M program? If M's came with a CF hood and trunk i bet you would be alright with that as well. I will venture to say that within the next 5 years M is going to be doing just that. Reason? Handling! As we know M= handling! I don't think i have to explain their reasoning for it but what the hay. Removing the most weight from the highest points will not only lower the center of gravity but also reduce the moment of inertia. Depending on how it is implemented, it will also effectively increase the structural rigidity of the vehicle. You WOULD notice a difference in handling of a 1er w/ CF roof, hood, and trunk.

My estimates of weight reduced in a 135i using real CF (vacuum bagged).

50lb hood(?) 10-12lb CF = -40lbs unpainted
25lb trunk(?) 8lb CF = -17lbs unpainted
45lb sunroof(?) 7lb CF = -38lbs unpainted
total = -95lbs from the top of the car

To all you people that think CF is ricey; Im sure we have all seen that nasty ass, bondo'd, 5 color, mid 80's japanese pos with an even more nasty excuse of a CF hood. Can you blame them? I bet they are more stoked about their hood than the whole car. Because they understand what CF means. Performance. You can't blame them for wanting a piece of motorsports. Just like you can't shun people that want to tastefully add CF to their car. Imo there is a difference between rice and what these BMW owners want to do. Don't let ricers sour your taste of CF. Do some research and decide for yourself.

And if you do decide and you don't like CF then you better get used to it because thats where the future is. All auto makers are coming up with ideas on how to reduce body weight, not only for performance, but moreso for fuel economy. For that reason plastics are becoming mainstream and highly implemented until a more cost effective way of producing CF arises.

/class

Zak

As you can see Hugo and 135i, there are plenty of car guys who like alot or a little CF. It would be very difficult to say what "most people" like accurately.
Appreciate 0