View Single Post
      03-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #85
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I understand that our prices are significantly higher than those of our American counterparts, but have you guys not read about how BMW isn't fairing too well in the US market since the weak US dollar and faltering economy is reducing their profitability down there? I haven't been paying TOO much attention to this issue, but are they not reducing the number of 1ers to the US because of that issue (I may be wrong on this, they seem to say they are reducing the #'s every other week, but end up quoting the same numbers).

Before I get flamed, 20% higher is significant, but I'm not sure if I'd consider it gouging if they're not worthwhile margins with the US price anyways. I agree that our prices are too high, but I'd probably classify them somewhere between gouging and making a reasonable rate of return.

And I know a few people have brought this up, but I think we need to be reminded that the folks in the UK and mainland Europe are paying FAR more than we are for the same 1 series (29k pounds, 45k euros). And sure there's a more taxes built into that price, but regardless, those are base prices approaching or well into the $60k range.

Before saying that BMW is completely out of their heads and gouging us, I think we should temper our reactions with a bit of realism and look at a market besides the US where as far as the economy goes, shit is hitting the fan because consumers consistently buy products that they can't afford (regardless of how cheap they are).

My $0.02...