View Single Post
      08-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #32
barrchord
Rep
Drives:

We have a new 128 vert and the third brake light cover broke in half and popped out. I saw it happen. My wife was backing up slowly and it dramatically popped out in 2 pieces, broken in the middle. Dealer replaced it no problem. Picked up car, drove 30 miles and looked at the new one. What do you know,, a 1/4" vertical crack starting from the top of the new tail light cover- just to the right of center. That was yesterday. Today, noticed another fine line crack about 1/16" starting about 1" to the right of 1/4" crack. Contacted dealer again, and will replace. Looking at the forum thread, it seems this is happing to both the coupe and vert. Also, it seems it is not happing to all cars because we would hear more about it. To me, this could be a design flaw or lot related material flaw on the light. Would be interesting to hear from those who have not had this happen to look a their third brake light cover (flashlight helps) and see if there is a fine line crack. I can also run my fingernail over the crack and feel it. I believe this will be permanantly fixed by BMW. The car is fantastic otherwise.
Appreciate 0