View Single Post
      05-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #31
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by l888apex View Post
not really man. different tolerances, expected life/longevity, and sizes/loads/rpm/piston speeds. follow the break in of the people who built your engine, no one else.
Variations exist from vehicle to vehicle and application to application, but the idea behind the need to have it seat properly is common.

Car companies are governed by numerous departments, each one has a say and a reason for that say and that ultimately makes a difference in the product you get at the showroom, the information given regarding that product, and the way its serviced.

BMW tells you not to change your oil until the car indicates that. If I followed that I would have had one oil change in 3 years (car still hasnt indicated an oil change, Im just assuming it would have). I cant imagine the sludge building up in the lines if I didnt change the oil periodically. I also opted to change the oil at 500 miles, I could see the sparkle in the oil from the metal (it was like glitter), those that followed what the engine builders said had those metal bits circulating in their engine for atleast a year until their car told them to take it in for an oil change. I cant imagine thats so great for the internals, but it sure works well for BMWs bottom line when the oil changes are on their dime the first 4 years.

I wasnt arguing one side of the coin or the other here, just providing information for the OP to make a determination on his own. I would never tell anyone how to break in their engine. He asked, I shared.
Appreciate 0