View Single Post
      10-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

PSS- too sticky?

After a summer wearing (and wearing out) Hankook RS-3s on 18" M3 wheels, I swapped back to my "winter" wheels and tires, PSS in stock sizes on the stock 19" wheels.

After a week with them on I have to say I'm wondering if they are too sticky for the car.

As I mentioned in my initial review, I like the 18s/ Hankooks a lot largely because of the extra feedback and movement you get from the chassis... Of course movement means just that- the car is moving around and sliding more. I think I didn't realize how much more, however, until I put the PSS back on. In San Francisco, where "summer" generally means low 60s in the mornings and evenings, the hankooks are simply slippery. Half throttle around a 90 degree right means a nice slide with DSC off, often even when you're not trying. Half block long, opposite lock slides are available on demand. Not that that's common, mind you, but occasionally, and it's nice to know it's there.

Of course when the RS-3 really warms up, ie 3rd run at the autocross or a really hot day, it'll just about stick first gear, but that's the exception rather than the rule. Usually I'm looking at the temperature gauge on the dash trying to gauge exactly how big a slide I can expect when I roll into the throttle.

Fast forward to the Pilot Super Sports, and that stick that you get when the RS-3 warms up is essentially always there, even in the morning at 60 degrees when it's a little damp. Much respect for the PSS, obviously- grippy consistent, etc.

But I must admit I miss the RS-3s a bit. With the PSS I don't have enough gear to hold a half block slide- 40 feet and it's gripping so much you've run out of 1st, though it is much more comfortable sliding around in 2nd. The PSS limits are clearly higher, but am I safer on them? On my favorite back road I'm going less sideway, but I'm also going significantly faster.

I spent the weekend road testing three very old, near stock porsches for a friend of mine- a 356, a '69 912 and a '73 911T. He's dialing in an Ohlins shock setup on all three cars, but otherwise these had skinny little tires, near stock suspensions and between 80 and 140 hp. And they were an absolute blast to drive, because you could wring the crap out of them on these tight, curvy roads, get them sliding around and never be going fast enough to worry yourself or the occasional other traffic. Putting the 1M on the PSS is a step in the other direction. I love the predictability vs the RS-3, but I must say maybe the limit is a bit too high. I enjoy the 1M because it's fun at less insane speeds than say a 997 TT or an audi R8- I like a car that moves around some. The PSS almost makes it too good? I could always add power, but...

We'll see, I've only had them on a week, maybe I'll get comfortable using more throttle and warm up to them, but I'm surprised so far. The best street tires I've ever owned are maybe too good...