View Single Post
      12-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott135i View Post
So I decided it was finally time to get my first dyno with the 135i...

Background info-

Car: 2008 BMW 135i - 12,600 Miles - Auto, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Navi
(Car is on its 2nd HPFP, 2nd set of injectors, and 2nd set of spark plugs which was done 700 miles ago [no problems since]. Car is a July 2008 build.

Mods: Only mods are JB3 v1.4, BMS DCI, and Magnaflow Axleback Exhaust, running 93 octane. All else is 100% stock.

Dyno Equipment: Mustang Dyno - MD250 (These are supposedly known as 'heartbreakers' compared to other Dynojet dynos as they typically have lower readings)

Conditions: It was a cold day here in NY. I'd assume the temperature inside the shop was probably 55-60, while it was about 40 degrees outside, which was nice.

All the runs were done in 4th gear. Because of the colder temps, heatsoak didn't seem to be a real issue between runs.

The three runs shown below are as follows: Run # 1 (RED) - MAP 7 ; Run # 2 (GREEN) - MAP 5 ; Run # 3 (BLUE) MAP 0

There are two files attached. One has all three runs on one graph, just showing hp/trq curves. The other one has only Runs # 1 & 2 (Map 7 and 5, respectively) and also shows Air/Fuel Ratios which were as high as 14.8 from 2000-3500 rpms.

Summarized Results:
Run # 1 on Map 7 - 376 hp / 380 ft/lbs trq
Run # 2 on Map 5 - 363 hp / 404 ft/lbs trq
Run # 3 on Map 0 - 296 hp / 321 ft/lbs trq

With my mods, Map 5 made more peak trq but less peak HP than map 7. Also notice that in the upper RPM range, map 7 (run 1) holds more power than map 5.

I brought the car to Maximum PSI in Linden, NJ to use their Mustang Dyno. For those in the NY/NJ area, check this shop out if you're in the area. They are experienced BMW people (go to MaximumPSI.com) and have lots of experience with turbo kits on E36 and E46 M3's. They have a 900+ whp E36 M3 that ran in the 9's! Mike at Maximum PSI (one of the two owners) was extremely professional and took care of everything after showing me around.
They do all kinds of installs including exhausts, downpipes, piggybacks, and more for all different BMWs including 1 and 3 series. Today was a mini-dyno day and they charged extremely reasonable prices for the runs. I ended up doing 4 runs, but data from only 3 were saved and shown below.

Ok, so, questions... comments... concerns... feedback... This was my first dyno. Considering the mods, nice and cold weather, and 'heartbreaker' Mustang dyno, I think the car ran pretty well, especially on the 'Stock' Map 0.
Great job, and great runs. Interesting torque variance between runs.
I met Mike from MaximumPSI at Englishtown about a month ago when he ran his silver turbo E36 M3 to the record. Super nice guy unlike so many of the tuners out there. Good dude, and totally deserved the record. Oh and it's his daily driver!!
Hardcore!
Appreciate 0