View Single Post
      08-31-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

1M to use twin turbo N54 - or so tell these pictures

Following Bimmerfile's report and Scott's confirmation, I thought it might be worth to have another look at this picture M3roar brought up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3roar View Post
Name:  N54Exhaust1M.jpg
Views: 10760
Size:  77.5 KB

Anyone else see this or is it just me?
It's hard to see in this picture, but the 1M's exhaust system appears to have center cats in the mid section. Here's a better picture of this:

Name:  1M_underbody.jpg
Views: 10630
Size:  104.3 KB

Zooming into the center cats section (center cats section enhanced for more clarity):

Name:  1M_underbody_center_cats.jpg
Views: 10419
Size:  111.7 KB

In case you guys are wondering why I'm stressing this, the same center cats in the midpipes appear on the N54 powered 135i (one on each exhaust pipe, marked with a red arrow each):

Name:  N54_exhaust_drawing.jpg
Views: 11330
Size:  36.3 KB

The N55 powered 135i however doesn't have these center cats as you can see in these pictures, courtesy of black e (see here). Again, the red arrows show where the mid cats would be on the N54 powered 135i:

Name:  N55_midpipe.jpg
Views: 11107
Size:  164.5 KB

Hence, I'd say it's not only safe to assume that Bimmerfile's correct on the N54 being used in the 1M, it's also safe to assume that there won't be any change to the turbo layout, i.e. it will keep the N54's (single scroll) bi-turbo. That being said, I have no idea what Scott could have meant then by saying the 1M engine would be a hybrid between N54 and N55. Any thoughts (or corrections for that matter)?

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0