View Single Post
      11-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
-satanic-
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Lightbulb Gaps in your CF Rear Spoiler? Cheap & Easy Fix!

So I think one of the most popular aero modifications on this forum is the addition of the OEM or replica CF Rear Spoiler - the item looks fantastic and really sets the rear-end off in my opinion. The only thing with this modification I suppose is down to the installation, working with double sided tape always has its ups & downs - that or the item you purchased wasn't 100%

I just installed my CF rear spoiler and I wasn't 100% with the results around the edges... here is my solution:-

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The edges on the spoiler began to raise today, evidence of the double-sided tape not being thick enough at the extremities of the item, the effect heightened because the degree of bowing was not 100% matching the curve of the boot-lid.

To fix this, the first point of call was to do some surgery on the left and right corners, getting rid of the old double-sided tape and inserting some new bits, double the width.

*This worked well and now the corners are rock-solid.
*What I was left with though was 1.0-1.5mm gaps between the spoiler and the boot-lid so I brainstormed some ways to fill them.

I didn't want to resort to permanent items like Sikaflex or any other type of adhesive-based agent so I turned to the world of modelling and picked up some modelling clay ($1.48 from my local arts and craft store). *The stuff is oil-based (meaning water proof) and moulds to any shape you want very easily. *It doesn't set hard or stick permanently to the surface so is easily removed when I want it to be.

So I hit the edges with generous amounts of the stuff, applying it with this tool *Because it doesn't set, I could take my sweet ass time and really get the gaps filled properly.

Once I was happy with the amount of filling done, I used the tool to scrape off the bulk excess and then a cloth to smooth it all out so it looks the same as items bonded from factory. *Personally I think it looks very neat and for $2, a very worthwhile way to perfecting the look of the CF rear spoiler.

Build Thread
Appreciate 0