08-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #25
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evobda2 View Post
So it may be a bit different if he put an actual "1M" badge or a "M3" badge when its not..
I would like to highlight your original post above. There are no two ways interpreting it. So, not sure why you try to shift your argument to something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evobda2 View Post
I think your missing the point here.. the badge doesn't distinguish the 1M from the others. It simply has an M badge on the back to represent the M tuning it has. The 1M obviously having quiet a bit of it.
Not that im saying that guy has M tuning or whatever. Its obviously not a 1M. But then i dont think he's trying to say it is.

Like i said even my lowly 120D M-sport has the "M" badge scattered everywhere from factory. It doesnt mean its trying to be anything it isn't, or is a fake? But obviously the 1M or M3 etc aren't the only cars now that have the exclusive M badge everywhere. BMW simply doesn't do it like that anymore.

At the end of the day people are always going do stuff like this for whatever reasons. Is it really worth worrying about to the point you post their car and rego number on a public forum? I dont think so.
A single M badge on the right hand side of the boot lid, like the 1M, M Roaster and M Coupe, or M1, M3, M5, M6, X5M, and X6M is the model is insignia of a M car. It is a model designation as opposed to the use of the "little ///M badges" on series production cars which BMW has done since the 1970s.

There is also a distinction between a M car and a M-tuned car and you should find out a little bit more before your ignorant post. BMW M is a separate manufacturer to BMW AG. The closest entity that mirrors BMW M is Alpina which again unlike "tuners", they are also a manufacturer in their own right.

Recently the use of ///M135i etc as an insignia for an M tuned car probably disappoints many enthusiast but BMW haven't used this nomenclature for a M car for years.

Ie, Alpine's argument - a better analogy is that changing the model designation to a ///M is like having your 120D and rebadge to a 130i, or worst still a 320i to a Alpina B3S. It doesn't matter what mods you put in, or if it is "faster" than a M car, it still doesn't make it a M car, and having a model designation of a M car is just wrong.

Now, I don't care if someone does it. It is their car and not mine and they can do whatever they want. All I want to is to point out that your facts are incorrect.
Appreciate 0