02-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #17
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1swift1 View Post
Anyone have dyno numbers comparing stock vs a drop in air filter? Any recs for a better air filter than stock that won't end up getting oil all over the MAF?
I am using the aFe Pro Dry S drop in filter that I bought from HP Autowerks. I did not make a dyno after that because at the same time with filter I also had ER charge pipe so I am not 100 % certain that any possible difference between before&after dynos will solely reflect the effect of the filter.

Impressions: None or negligible difference in hp/tq. I do feel the car hits the high revs more willingly but it might be a combination of other factors too (exhaust broken in etc.). There is no sound change and no oil to worry about since it is a dry filter, I keep on checking it and am pretty sure doing its "filtering" job properly as well.

So overall, my car with existing technical mods (check sig) feel like there is no lag to talk about, really good throttle response even in non-M mode, eager at high revs and overall more pleasant and slightly quicker compared to all stock. As I said it is a combined effect of following mods: better/grippier PSS tires, modified CDV, aFe filter, ER charge pipe, N55 mids and Evolve Race rear exhaust. Other than the exhaust sound it still feels like the stock car just better in everything.

I can't single out the air filter and say what it literally added, but definitely it did not add anything negative and probably helped a bit. Does it worth the cost is another question that you should answer yourself, for me everything worths if I feel a stock component is not a perfect fit to the rest of the car.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0