View Single Post
      10-09-2015, 10:12 AM   #8
lupa
Rep
Drives: 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Use the door jam tire pressures.

68k is a good amount on the stock control arms, perhaps upgrading to the M3 ones would not be a bad idea. They have much stiffer bushings and will increase the road feel and add some weight to the steering as well. That's what I can suggest if you're saying everything else is good.
Tire pressures were almost dead nuts this morning to the door -- fronts both at 36 psi, back right at 39, back left at 40.

Tram lining on the interstate was miserable, so I got on a side road and tried a few things...

I can rock the steering wheel about an inch each way, back and forth repeatedly, and not change the direction of the car at all. It is like there is a rubber band between the steering and the actual wheels.

I (intentionally) hit potholes. Bump steer basically redirects the car.

Corrections on the steering do not manifest equally, as in, sometimes a small adjustment has the same effect as a large adjustment.

Back to tie rods? How do I check them?

Would control arms cause this?

I keep asking all these questions, because there is no obvious culprit. Wife wants me to dump the car and just get a dad-mobile, but when the little guy works, it is a blast. Please, help me save my independence!
Appreciate 0