01-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #29
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
I would avoid this at all costs. My original 1M was rolled and I very much doubt the driver (not me) would have walked away if it had some aftermarket CF roof. Given the state of the roof after the accident, I'd say the driver would probably be dead now.

There is NO good reason to do a CF roof. Not only will you dramatically lower the value of your 1M, you will put your life in danger. I'll be happy to send you photos of the wreck.
As someone mentioned before CF just replace the sheet metal - all structure component are intack. Also, if the CF roof was designed properly it should splinter after it exceeds its spec - there is no sharp shards flying anyway, and given the nature of most roll overs, it would be very unlikely. This actually dissipate more energy than a deformed roof. I can't say it for every manufacturer, but I have a few contacts that is how they are done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
Good to have some real-world input! Powerbeast put a CF roof on his 1M, but I understand it was a huge PITA to do and obviously it's going to a very expensive way to shave a few pounds. Much more cost effective to add power if all you're looking to do is improve power to weight ratio.
The purpose of the carbon roof is not about shedding total weight. It is about shedding weight at the top of the car which change the rolling characteristics to improve its handling. You will probably found that people who are looking at CF roof has already done other power mods, as they are definitely much cheaper if you just want a faster car.
Appreciate 0