View Single Post
      12-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #25
ApexWheels
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
I'm thinking about going to a square setup for the street. 18x10 all running 275s. I really like the way the car handles on square setup, tires are less expensive and most inportantantly I can rotate front to back. I'm on my third set of rear tires with less than 20k miles and first set of fronts still have plenty of life.

Normally I would go with the lightest option but since these will be for the street, form is important too. I love the look of the stock wheels so Id like to go with as close to stock looking as possible. I can't tell what's closer to the stock wheel the EC-7 or ARC-8? It looks to me like the 7s have more curvature or concavity to them whereas the 8s are more flat faced. Which look closer to the BMW wheels currently on the 1m?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
IMO the ec-7 looks more like the stock wheels. Thinking about running the same 18x10 setup...
The EC-7's definitely emulate the look the of the stock 1M wheels much more than the ARC-8's. The EC-7's have a curved spoke much like the 1M wheels where the ARC-8 has straight spokes. A square set up for the street is a great idea but please keep in mind that the 18x10" ET25 and 275/35/18 wheel/tire combination on the 1M is the absolute maximum square wheel and tire fitment that can be achieved besides a shorter sidewall 285/30/18 tire. Adjustable camber plates are a necessity with this fitment and grazing the fender liner at full steering lock is a very likely possibility. The 18x10" ET25 square set up will also have a very wide front track which is great for HPDE's and track events because it reduces understeer but it also attributes to a greater amount of rocks and road debris hitting the side of the car. Another possible less aggressive square set up for your 1M on the street could be the 18x9.5" ET22 wheels square with a 265/35/18 tire and then use a 12-15mm wheel spacer in the rear for aesthetic purposes.

Last edited by ApexWheels; 12-20-2012 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0