View Single Post
      07-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My SUV was hit in the parking lot at Lowe's earlier this year. I was picking up some wood at night and did not notice the damage until several days later (I drive it intermittantly since I also drive my 128i convertible). I called a body shop recommended by a friend and they suggested going to the insurance since I could get it covered under uninsured motorist. When you have a claim against this area, it does not raise your rates. I called my agent to confirm and they did. Then they asked for a police report. I did not report it because of the time lag but I went in to do so. They would not do a report but gave me a form I could fill in and send to the state which was equivalent. I needed help from my agent with one portion of the form but we got it done. The insurance would have covered it under collision but in that case the deductable made it hardly worthwhile since they would also consider it as a factor in rates. But everything worked out and I got the lower deductable. I paid for some scratches I put on the spare tire cover to be fixed at the same time.

Bottom line is if you have uninsured motorist you should do a police report and get it covered that way.

Jim