View Single Post
      05-21-2012, 01:19 AM   #3
Hambone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 TiAg 135i

Sucks that you sent your car into the tire wall, but like you said at least you're fine. It's difficult to tell from the video, perhaps you can clarify exactly, but it seems like you waited way too long to let off the gas. From what it sounds like listening to the video, you're just throttling through the oversteer until you're facing the wall and then letting off the gas (going by when I hear the BOV at ~13 seconds). I can't see where your eyes are, but if your head is any indication you're staring right at that wall and your hands aren't moving. Should look where you want to go and let your hands follow that path of eyesight naturally. Additionally, you started giving it gas a little too soon in that turn like you said. If you had of waited another half second or more you probably would have been fine.

All in all, there are a few lessons to be learned (from what I can see and not having any feedback from you yet). What induced your oversteer was the error of too much gas too early as you stated yourself. But after your error was made, your opportunity to recover was lost by staying on the gas too long once you got into oversteer, and your eyes are locked on where you -think- you're going to go instead of where you want to go which lead to your hands not giving enough input to compensate for the oversteer. Even after you had let off the gas and had begun to compensate, you didn't give any additional input to the steering wheel once you realized the car wasn't straightening out. There was plenty of time to give it some more, but if you watch the video as I'm sure you have a hundred times over, your hands aren't moving and your tires are pointing straight ahead, and then you start to turn INTO the wall (at ~15 seconds), the opposite way of where you needed to go. That's again why I believe you were looking right at the wall instead of at the road where you wanted to go, you steered where you were looking. If there's one thing to really think about working on, it would be recovering from under/over steer. People are going to push themselves too far all the time - it's just a natural human tendency. It's what you do after that threshold is crossed that's the most important.

Good luck with the repairs estimate. If there's not any frame damage, you're looking at about $3k-5k worth of repairs at a good body shop, depending on how much under the hood needs to be replaced.

2009 TiAg 135i 6MT - Custom AST 5100 coilovers with Swift springs, Cobb Tuning, DCI, ER FMIC/CP, Tial BOV, AR Design Catted Downpipes, Berk Full Street Exhaust, BMW OEM Performance Rear Spoiler, BMW Black Kidney Grilles
Appreciate 0