View Single Post
      08-26-2015, 12:30 AM   #1
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '21 F150 Tremor

feeling dejected, time to cut bait? 135i w/12k miles looking at new transmission

I ordered a new 135i, msport, 6MT, in late 2013. I received one of the last of the production run, picking it up in september (production ceased in october that I understand). Had issues upon deliver that took a month to properly diagnose and fix (all before 1000 miles), ended up being an issue with the evaporative fuel recovery system that kept throwing CEL.

Last month, the charge pipe blew off and bits of it sucked into the throttle body and held the throttle closed... couldnt get above 1300 rpm. It was towed to dealer and fixed and was told no apparent damage to engine.

Today, I dropped it off for a grinding when shifting from 1 to 2 under higher rpm. The shop foreman was able to recreate the issue pretty easily, and he said it will probably be a new transmission.

While I loved the car when it worked well, my interest has waned significantly over these last few issues. I'm in a crummy 320i loaner, and probably will be for a week or more. My car has 12800 miles, and I don't rag it hard and I have no mods on the car. Part of me wants to leave the brand (and really all german cars), get a truck for the day to day, then add a used fun car down the road.

The other part of me knows that I like to drive, nothing really compares to 300+hp rear wheel drive coupes/sedans, and while I definitely don't want to own this 135i anymore (it's a lemon, even if the laws don't quite define it as such) I feel I should push BMW to make it right. Something like getting a premium on trade in (say private party value), then invoice on a 335i or m3. I would take a bath on a trade in outside of possible getting this arrangement.

Anyways, this is certainly a vent... but in the impartiality of this forum and audience, what would you do? I've got another 2 years warranty, but there's now way I'm owning this car outside of that and I feel now is the time to make a stink with BMW seeing as the car is in the shop.
Appreciate 0