View Single Post
      05-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #15
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
Also, I have close to zero experience with engine building and the proper techniques of breaking-in the engine. However, it seems to me from a first glance, that in the two major schools of thought represented here in this forum regarding the break-in period are both aiming for a common goal...to make the engine parts meld in together and become a fully functional mechanical unit. In my eyes, this would be better achieved through what the OM is saying in terms of taking it easy on the engine in the beginning. In my perception, it would make more sense to easily initiate the different functions of a newly built engine to ensure proper and smooth transitions between the various parts. As time goes on, the parts will become well "grooved" if you will.

I can see problems occurring if you 'pedal to the metal' off the lot, perhaps due to the lack of experience and mileage for your particular engine

keep in mind, i have owned tons of Japanese cars and floored them off the lot for 250,000 miles....so i guess we are considering the German engineering then
Appreciate 0