05-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #28
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
I have not run Pirelli Corsas or Trofeo Rs, but have some thoughts on them based on other tests. I have run RE-11s on another car.

I agree the Corsas sound a little more streetable than the Dunlops, probably better down to cooler temps. The downside is they are probably a little little slower at the track. The Maxx Race are supposed to be in the same ballpark as the Trofeo R, and that tire is significantly quicker than the Corsa from all reports.

The RE-11s are great in the wet and very usable in cooler temps. Also the stiffer sidewall should make them work better with the stock 1M alignment. Again I think they should be much more streetable than the Maxx Race but a little slower on the track (assuming alignment cures the issues I was having).

I got camber plates and dialed in -2.6 degrees up front. I may have a chance to try the car at an event Saturday, if so I'll report back.
Thanks a lot, very good feedback as usual.

Very much like the new Dunlops, PZero Trofeo R may be just too much for me as I don't seem to have chances of taking the car to a track plus I heard that they are not easy to get anywhere, for international buyers tire rack doesn't even list them for instance. I don't know (didn't check) if they have direct fit sizes for our stock wheels too.

On the other hand, Corsas have two advantages: reported acceptable street manners with great grip, second only to tires like Trofeos, this is first advantage; second is the perfect size they are available for the 1M; 255/35 and 285/30. Both PSS and RE-11 do not offer those sizes. I am not talking about the price here!

So for anyone who share my concerns about tires, good choices look like:
a) stick with stock sizes, either in PSS or RE-11; track frequency should determine which one is a better bet (almost all street then go PSS, some or frequent track then better go with RE-11)
b) go oversize: PSS with 275/30 fr and 295/30 re may be a direct fit or other adventures.
c) go perfect size like the M3 GTS: for now there is Corsas, in 255/35 and 285/30 size and for a price.
d) buy 18 inch wheels and start thinking all over again.

Lots of other tires available, yes, but as far as I know they are not offering the same level of compromises like the above, lacking in something important, either a good size or road manners or the level of wet/dry compromise.

Price is out of my consideration for the moment, since I am just thinking and not yet buying.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0