View Single Post
      09-21-2008, 06:45 AM   #1
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

First motorkhana and I won!

So today was the first motorkhana since I got the car a few months back. It was with the Autosports guys out at Oran Park.

The morning consisted of a couple of driver training courses with your usual wet 'lane change' and 'pull the handbrake in the corner' tests.

After lunch they got the stop watches out and setup three different courses. Each driver got three attempts at each course with the best time counting. I was the first person on the 'clover leaf' and went ok but struggled with understeer (probably due to being the first person on a dirty concrete course). My times were all pretty consistent and still held up to 2nd best after the rest of the 30 drivers went through.

After that I did the "Bozzman" which was a series of four hairpin turns starting and finishing in a central garage. This one didn't suit us so well but managed to pull out the best time of the day only have it disallowed due to me over-running the garage by about 10cm! My second best (0.8 sec slower!) was still good enough for 2nd on this one.

The final test was a simple slalom, hairpin then slalom back to the garage. This one suited the BMW well - I would definitely have been the quickest down the slalom section but nailing the hairpin properly was REALLY difficult. My best attempt wasn't that great but still good enough for 3rd on that one.

I went home not knowing the results as some cars were still running when I left but was surprised to see tonight that when all the times were added up I actually won!!! It was a real surprise considering all the cars that were there - some really modified examples with good drivers too.

Anyway, all good practice for some other events coming up later in the year - I just need to find a way to get my handbrake turns right!

Anyway know of some deserted car parks that I can use for practice? :biggrin:

Here are the results (Mark Croudace was co-driving in my car):
Appreciate 0