Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
how many burnouts do you do...??? every YEAR?
I should have about 8 auto-x events by the end of this summer, plus about 8k miles in just the summer...how much longer do you expect street tires to last? I've never done a burnout in my car, that seems like a total waste. Ideally, a second set for the track would be great, but I don't have the space for it.

Back OT-As mentioned 225 tires will fit on the stock wheels fine (I had this for a while), and if you get properly sized aftermarket wheels, you can probably squeeze something just a bit bigger.

For the maintenance, I do agree with a lot of the posts here, but I still feel even if you DIY, parts are more expensive, although sometimes the difference is minor. You can find good deals and third party replacements, but I feel there is always a "BMW" tax. Just for an example, since Hawk pads are mentioned. Hawk HP+ cost about $120 for a civic Si, same for an S2000, about $150 for a Mitsu Evo IX, and just over $200 for a 135i. (all prices just taken for example from tirerack). The pads on the 135i are bigger, but this is a perfect example of how maintenance, regardless of who performs it, will be more expensive on this car. According to realoem.com, the OEM front brakes alone are $294, and I would guess this is significantly higher than a typical japanese or american car. Not trying to scare you away, but just being realistic, as I see this on all parts for the car not just my example above. Aside from this, DIY is not bad on this car if you've done similar jobs before. There are some tricks to get things to work properly, and some different tools you might need (lots of Torx and E- bits), but overall it is not a bad car to work on in my experience so far.

Repairs are another story however. A windshield for a BMW is about 2k (or more depending on the BMW dealership), while another car can be just a few hundred. Labor rates are high, and reprogramming of the car takes a few hours usually, so in regards to repairs, these will be higher than a normal car as well (but probably not nearly as exorbitant as Porsche). The difference may not be enough to get frightened, but it is there.

Also, if lots of track time is in your future, you may want to reconsider as well. I think the car is great for HPDE, limited track outings, auto-x etc, but if you are serious, there are some issues with the car that will hold it back on the track (e.g. stock brakes and cooling). It seems very capable for short periods, but many experience overheating and brake fade on the track. I auto-x and daily drive my one and it is excellent for this though. It drives comfortably on the street, has lots of great features, and is still quite luxurious. On the auto-x it is very fun and can be a great weapon if you can drive (I can't yet, but I'm getting there).

Hope this helps in your decision making process!

Tim