3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Ooooooh.

I've always loved the look and rake. I think the sideskirts help with/accentuate the look as well with the angle of their line going up towards the rear (compared to a flat horizontal line on a 128).

I'm actually curious what you think of the car now that you've had it for a little bit. I know you had a few issues after your test drive that bothered you or that you might have to get used to, but would love to hear your thoughts.
1000 mile review

So keep in mind, the test drive was a buddy's car although it was spec'd nearly how mine is. That car suffered from some kind of throttle delayed response. However my car which I took delivery 2 weeks ago never had this issue. In those 2 weeks, I also logged 1000 miles and I noticed something rather interesting. During the first 1000 miles, the DCT trans would granny shift really quickly. I'd hit 7th gear by 45mph every time like clock work. However once I approached 995 miles, the trans started shifting more aggressively. Without even using the paddle shifters, manual mode or pressing sport... just remaining in normal D, the car now holds the gears longer. I'm in 2nd and 3rd gears much longer for local traffic, and it now shifts at 4500 rpm as opposed to whatever shift points it used earlier (maybe 3000).

Other points

- The N55 motor is perfect for everyday driving. And now that the car is starting to shift more aggressively, the driving experience becomes even more fun. I was actually worried that I'd constantly need to use the paddle shifters just for fun driving but D still gets the job done. Not to mention with temps coming down to 60's these days, the turbo just loves it!

- The exhaust burble on downshifts are music to my ears

- M-sport suspension is perfect height. I've yet to bottom out in NJ/NYC driving and I've tested some incline/declines I normally have trouble with in my Z4.

- The M-sport seats are great, I love how you can adjust the bolster and lumbar. It got a little cold this past week (50's at night) and I tested the butt warmers. To my surprise the seats got warm really fast.

- iDrive / Nav works great. Streaming music via BT and getting nav directions from my phone are great for a daily commuter.

- The run flats are still not that bad but I will admit when you hit that one nasty pothole, it does wake you up and it's pretty annoying a 50k car could have such terrible feedback. But like I said, I'll replace them after these wear down, and considering how much driving I do it shouldn't take that long.

Accessories

In the past week, I bought some oem accessories, specifically the mud guards, cf spoiler, all weather rubber mats and the ss pedals. The pedals are the only thing I've yet to install but I think these accessories are a must for this car. The painted spoiler looks great but the cf spoiler's curve really gives the trunk that CSL look and the cf matches the black mirror caps and shadowline trim quite nicely.

All weather mats, while not pretty will keep your interior clean. I still have the carpeted mats underneath but I would worry about those wearing down over time and not sure if you can order the special 135is mats (with blue piping) later. Mud guards are also great, they're not the eyesore I thought they'd be, they blend in well and will keep your paint looking fresh for years.