10-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #19
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5 View Post
I have a copy of the TSB. Trust me. It clearly states that the turbo test at the dealer must show a bad turbo. A noisy valve - in their - opinion is not a turbo failure.
I've been to two dealers and they showed me the result of the tests. No way I could argue with it. BMW will not cover it if the reports don't state turbo failure..
sigh

It clearly states, and I'll paste it here for you:
"If the noise is described as a clanking noise occurring up to six or seven times in a row during adeceleration from approximately 3,500 RPM, or during a heavy application of the accelerator without a drive gear being engaged, then continue with the procedures described in this document.

E60 (including xDrive), E61 (including xDrive), E82, E88, E89, E90 (including xDrive), E92(including xDrive) and E93:
Replacing Exhaust Turbocharger

I don't know how it could be any more clear.

The first link I pasted describes, in detail, which models are affected (all model year E82s with the n54 engine) and says to reference the second link for more information on repair procedure should they need a reference. This warranty TSB supercedes prior determinations for turbocharger / wastegate failure as dictated by the earlier document via the descriptions contained within.

Quote:
Your link clearly shows that for vehicles produced between September 2007 and March 2008: Do not replace the turbocharger or adjust the existing wastegate actuator control rod
futhermore it states:
To ignore the reuslts of the test.
On my car the test did not even show that this was bad although the rattle is quite evident.
Read above- if your situation was normal, many people on this forum would not have had their tubochargers replaced. I have firsthand experience with this exact scenario playing out exactly as described- loud noises from the wastegates in neural, take it in to the dealer, wastegates determined as cause of noise, turbocharger replacement per TSB.

This isn't a new development. This is a standard protocol for repair. If your dealer doesn't want to do it, that's one thing. If you don't want to fight for it, that's your own business. However, don't start reinterpreting the TSB to somehow not make it apply to you. Your vehicle falls under the recall notice, end of story.
Appreciate 0