09-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #54
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Fasst1 View Post
I e-mailed cobb with this same question. Their reply was that the AP would store your PPK update. If you did an uninstall of the cobb tune your ECU would return to stock configuration with the PPK update intact.
To answer the question more directly: software is not "stackable" like a coupon. He's been on sleakdeals for too long.
If it were, you'd just keep staking one on top of the other and you'd get infinite power.
3rd party tuners take a snapshot of a particular version of BMW software, say version 4.3, and make their changes on that version.
It's a nice feature to "image" what you have and save that in memory before uploading their version on your car. That allows you to "undo" the tune and revert to what you had before going to the dealer for whatever reason.
However, the other way around isn't addressed.
Suppose BMW loads software version 4.4 in your car to fix the problem you are complaining about.
Now you can't just reload the 3rd party tuner's software when you get home. You'd undo the fix the dealer made.
Your tuner software is now useless, and you'll have to wait for your tuner to take a snapshot of version 4.4 and port their changes over, and hopefully give it to you for free.
That is the main disadvantage I see with going non OEM.

Last edited by MPBK; 09-28-2011 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0