litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
Review: EBC GD Sport Rotors + EBC Redstuff Pads

Hi guys,

Previous I've been troubling my SA for the last 2 years regarding my brakes. They are constantly squeaking, unfortunately in Canada our warranty doesn't cover replacement after the 4mm measurement and I was left SOL.

Finally last month my rears were up and I decided to replace all four sides with the EBC line up. I did a lot of research but didn't find much regarding the 1 series, being that EBC is a reputable company I thought I be the guinea pig. I went EBC slotted and dimpled sports rotors and the more aggressive Redstuff pads (Greenstuff is their standard replacement, Yellow and Orange are track specific).

Shipping:
I purchased everything from autoanything.com during their 20% special and received everything separately, pads and rear rotors came first within a week. However the front rotors took much longer at more than a month (during this time I went 4000 KM over since the low brake sensor tripped). They were packaged well but I was surprised as I thought I had ordered the black rotors (from the photos on the website). Turns out the black coated rotors are for domestic vehicle while gold is for imports. After a few brakes the coat rubs off, I am still left with a gold centre cap though (I think it looks ok).

Installation:
My mechanic found that the front rotors were quite a bit heavier than stock and he need to adjust all the shims to fit the calipers. Other then that pretty much a standard job. My one take away is clean your wheels well before a brake job so that the shop has an easier chance plus they won't charge you for extra time.

Initial impressions:
Since I am still bedding them in (around 400 KM), so far they've been great. Less initial bite (which I like, easier heel-toe), stopping power is definitely better, no more squeaking and a lot less brake dust. During heavy braking you can hear the wind sound from the vents but not during normal driving or at least with the top up. When it is warmer I can put down my top and see if the vent sounds is constant.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and more updates to come.

| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0