View Single Post
      09-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #107
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Update...

Called Classic BMW in the Cleveland area.

Talked to both a service guy and parts guy. Service guy had less than ZERO CLUE about the kit. Never even heard of it.

The parts guy was an enthusiast. This is where it gets really fuzzy.

The parts catalog stated:
Software upgrade only: You have to replace the entire DME. $985 + labor (didn't know) + tax. Can't just reflash it.

Power Kit:
Oil Cooler
Air-Ducting
New Fan
Software upgrade (or upgraded DME): $2167 + labor (didn't know) + tax.

After a little cross-checking with a Memo-to-Dealer type thing. The guy said, "This is odd!"

The software only option is $599 + labor (didn't know) + tax.

The Power Kit option is $1200 + labor (didn't know) + tax.

VERY ODD INDEED. "Why the difference?" I asked how could I find out the labor before I bring my car in?

After a little more cross-checking...It got fuzzier.

most comes down to what DME you have. If you have the MSD80, you NEED a new DME (which costs more). If you have the MSD81, you DONT need a new DME.

He went with a price guessing that I have the MSD81 DME. Since I have the M-Sport bumper of $2851 + tax. That includes 9 hours of labor.

Also, since I probably have the MSD81, the software upgrade only would be the $599 + labor (couldn't find) + tax.

He said he doesn't know much about it b/c most people order the power kit or software upgrade with their car not afterward. I was never given the option. I'd pay $500 more for 20 more HP/Tq. What's $500 on a $40000 car.

Anyways...i'm exhausted. I'm still not clear on what it would be out the door. Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0