Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912
Dr Stig - you are a fountain of knowledge and you have an awesome job! I've always wondered whether the images that we (the public) have access to are of lower resolution than the images accessed by say, the local city council who may be checking for non-council approved constructions etc.

I was thinking of knocking a few cruise missiles together out of drainpipes and cardboard and seeing how long before the local constabulary come knocking on my door !
Alas, I don't do that job anymore.
Twas about 10 years ago and I was the r&d manager for a large consulting house that owned an aerial survey company. I used to stay interested in what they were up to though as I changed jobs in the company.

Yes, the councils get high res data. They pay for it of course. You can commission any of the survey companies to do a flyover at any resolution you like if they don't have it already in their databases.
Microsoft commissioned a 3 d survey a few years back to render 3 d images of the major capitals As competition to google earth. Thousands of terabytes of images, all sent to India to be stitched together.I have always wondered what happened to the initiative.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0