View Single Post
      04-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #103
jteef
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3

finally got around to doing this today on a 1M. I dropped the glovebox as recommended for access, used the empty slot 5 and grounded to the big metal torx bolt that sits to the left of the fuse panel. I didn't have a torx screwdriver that big, but luckily it wasn't in tight and an allen wrench did the trick to loosen a few turns. I used one 2 amp fuse on the "tap" side of the add-a-fuse.

I used the V1 hardwire thing that had an inline fuse already. If you use this part, don't worry what size the fuse in your tap is, so long as it's under 20A. The add-a-fuse mini i bought from autozone had 2 fuse slots. the slot directly above the prongs should match what is already installed. The slot that looks closest to the "tap" should be appropriate to what you're running from the tap. In this case valentine recommends 2A, and I happened to have a spare 2A mini, so I used it.

I mounted the hardwire module on the shelf to the right as previously photographed in this thread with no issues. ziptied all the wires to remove slack. I ran the cord behind the weatherstripping and mounted on the passenger visor. The 1M doesn't have a tinted windshield so the recess helps to hide the v1 more effectively and makes it easier to move between cars.

Thanks to all who posted their experiences, recommendations and pictures.
Appreciate 0