11-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #17
Tano22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Competition XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvandenhaute View Post
I'm curious to read your impression about the 128i vs the RX-8. I don't especially see the 128i as an upgrade compared to an RX-8. The straight six definitely has more torque and sounds better (in my opinion) but the RX-8 has one of the best chassis money can buy and is pretty refined all together. and in my opinion the shifter of the RX-8 is a bit better. I love my 128i and I choose it above a 2010 RX-8 mainly because I am not too found of the rotary engine for a daily driver (back when I bought the 128i I had 32 miles commute in heavy traffic) and I hate black interiors, which was the ONLY choice for the Mazda in 2010 but it was a close call...

All good points. My situation was a little bit different, as the warranty on my '06 had just expired and the car had just had some bodywork done, devaluing it almost to the point where it'd be unsellable. In terms of straight line speed, I feel like the BMW definitely has more kick off the line, largely due in part to the torque, or lack thereof, in the Mazda. With my Mazda, you have to kind of feel around for a sweet spot at high RPMs (remember, it's got a 9k redline) where you can draw the most power from.

On a track, I think the RX-8 would PROBABLY outperform the 128. It's got a great chassis, perfectly even front-to-back weight distribution, etc. I can't speak as to the smoothness of shifting gears because I got the BMW in automatic. Off hand, I don't know which car has a narrower wheelbase.

As far as the ride goes, it's BMW hands down, but I don't think anyone is surprised. I thought the Mazda's steering was tight, but the 1 is on a whole other level. I also feel the road a bit more on the Mazda, and it's suspension was a tiny bit stiffer I believe.

Loved my Mazda, great car and was sad to have to give it up. I wanted to go in a little bit of a different direction from a PURE sports car to something a bit more refined and comfortable. Had I wanted the former, I would have went with a 370z, but there was something about the prospect of owning a BMW that had me give this car a chance first, and when I drove it, I fell in love with it. I wanted to drive an '11 RX-8, but the dealers in my area said there weren't even any more in Florida at that point. Given that it's now a discontinued model, the choice became a lot easier.
Appreciate 0