View Single Post
      10-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

I think there's more to it though; although the basic engine is the same, I've heard the intake manifold may not be the same as the 130, and then there's the mechanicals of the valvetronic system which may be different(?) Yeah it would be great if we could get back all of the "lost" 30 ponies for sure. I would not trust just any company with the electronics of my new vehicle, but Terry/BMS have an outstanding record and reputation, with close to 2000 of the JB3's out there (for the 135's). And, as Terry mentions repeatedly, this is not just about peak power, but also throttle response being greatly improved from the stock "molasses" feel. Most German cars I've driven seem to feel this way, and while it seems okay on a 5-cylinder Jetta, I'd prefer crisp response with my 128. Countless reviewers of the "Sprint Booster" product say it's a "must have" for the increased response and driving enjoyment, and this new BMS tune will incorporate the same improvement - along with the power and torque increases - for $279. If you can afford a $30K+ vehicle, this seems very reasonable.

As I've mentioned in other posts, I plan to do some informal before/after (and hopefully accurate) roll-on accel tests. I will do them on the same stretch or road (you know that's no prob since here in CT we just have so many miles and miles of long straight open road, lol) and try to do them on the same day so the weather conditions will be the same, since that makes an appreciable difference. Maybe a cool dry night!
Appreciate 0