akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
This has been a rule since the dawn of time.......

"Automotive suspension bolts should only be torqued when preloaded!!!"

This is very important as it relates to suspension bushing life and preload. Rubber bushings are a form of a spring. They flex as the car is driven and spring back to their neutral position. If you torque the suspension without preloading it, you are altering the neutral position of the bushing and thus encouraging premature wear of that bushing.

Those who use to have an e28 or e34 know what I mean. The front thrust arm bushings were notorious for early failures. Root cause on most failures was due to incorrect torquing procedures.

Get a set of ramps, drive the car on the ramps, craw under, then torque these critical bolts.
I've seen people get solid concrete blocks from home depot and put vinyl floor tiles on them.
Jack up your car and put it on jack stands (4 corners) Place a few piece of Solid concrete blocks (however high you need so you could crawl under), place a few pieces of vinyl floor tiles on the concrete block. Make sure it's level (put a piece of 2x4 or 4x6 between the blocks, weight it down with something, like another block) if not level, add vinyl floor tiles until it is. lower your car on to the floor tiles/blocks. Crawl under and tighten the bolts. PITA... but you save a few bucks for DIY...
you can use this method for doing alignment yourself, add some grease between the floor tiles so they act as a turntable.
Appreciate 0