View Single Post
      06-05-2007, 11:41 PM   #43
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett8210 View Post
I prefer the look of a small 2 door sedan than the pure bathtub stance of a "true" coupe.
If you want that, then spend the extra money and get a Cayman.
I'd be happy to - just wire me the $40K difference, will you? BTW, looking at the height of those doors, you'll still be getting the bathtub effect in the 1 series.
Quote:
The purpose of this car is to have a large green house. That is the heritage of BMW. Check out the 2002, 320i, 325i (All of which were 2 doors). The four door sedan did not come along until 1985.
BMW never does retro, and I don't think they are trying to here - see my argument in my previous post for why the sedan look is wasted on this car. I do agree to some extent on the desireability of a large greenhouse though - I have test driven several sports coupes and sportscars lately and all but the Honda/Acura products have overly lowered greenhouses that cut out your view of nearly all of the sky - you feel you are looking out a bunker slit. I can't stand that, it would be a deal-breaker for me.
Quote:
As for the car at the top of the page, that is supposed to be an M1 (or thereabouts) and this car can easily be changed to take on a more aggressive stance. See what they did with the M3 compared to the E46 coupe.
Sorry but there is no way that they could make this 1 coupe look like the forum rendering without redoing the entire greenhouse and the side panels. Never going to happen.
Quote:
A lot of us don't want boy racer wantaby Celicas with seating positions on the floor and knees at your ears
Try driving a few coupes that are low-slung like the G35 or 911 - I have, and unless you're over 70, over 6'4", or seriously overweight, the ones I drove are never going to have you feeling like you are sitting on the floor with your knees at your ears. Cars in general are seating drivers higher and higher these days, and for a true driving enthusiast that is a bad thing - the higher you sit the less you feel the speed of driving and your connection to the road because of your distance from the asphalt. Driving a Turbo Cayenne at speed is never going to be as exilharating as doing so in a Boxster.
Appreciate 0