01-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #50
tony176000
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
I wasn't meaning to get into the whole oil change debate, and i understand the theoretical merit of more frequent oil changes. But i still believe it is an inadequate explanation for the ticking noise, and i sometimes get the feeling that people just jump to the "bad oil" for the cause of any engine problem.
Even as you have said JimD, you should be able to get a few decent kms/miles/years out of it without any problem by following bmw's recommendations. Whereas the ticking noise seems to occur in relatively new engines.
I think this is a great summary of the issue. We all know and mostly agree with "more frequent=better" concerning oil changes, but its not the end-all-be-all and certainly not a sufficient explanation.
A $40,000.00 "Ultimate Driving Machine" with 35,500 miles, 3 months of warranty to go, AND tick...tick...tick...tick...tick.
As I am new to this information I am pretty concerned. I love the car, but a minor flaw like this is unacceptable, not to mention if it is actually serious.
Whatever information anyone has to offer is appreciated. I have an appointment in a week, hopefully its just a minor annoyance!
Appreciate 0