View Single Post
      02-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
These cars are very sensitive to fuel (the HPFP in particular), but so are many others on the market. Similar issues (although not as common) with Mercs. Also, with the trend towards petrol direct injection engines, fuel quality is more critical then it ever was. BMW delayed the non-turbo direct-injection engines from the local 1- and 3-series line-up for quite some time as a result of fuel quality concerns, giving us the old engines while europe got the new ones. VW/Audi were probably first with DI in SA, but even they delayed the FSI models in SA versus Europe.

I had terrible fuel consumption issues with my 135i until I changed my regular filling station. Initially, crappy fuel and low mileage was causing me to burn around 18l to 20l per 100km. Okay, aggressive driving played a part, but my driving style hasn't really changed and I'm now getting ~12.5l on a mix of city freeway driving.

Your consumption is 100% normal (actually, I think it is pretty good) for the car's mileage and will improve significantly from around 5k to 10k. But keep to your trusted filling station!

I'd also be interested in finding out where you got the cable and software? Very useful indeed. It still boggles my mind that these cars don't let you view the codes through the trip computer (or iDrive).
Appreciate 0