05-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #45
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Just to show that I wasn't lying..

spreadsheet of some various e46 M3 exhaust setups.

Check out the Bora midpipe. The Borla isn't anywhere near as extreme as the racing midpipes I was describing, yet even on this (which they consider a street setup), the torque at 2800 rpm (highway cruising RPM) goes from 214 (all stock) to 123 with the midpipe. You absolutely can kill your torque and street drivability with the wrong setup.

The midpipe above is considered a street part still. The mids I was talking about, that people use for race cars (that gain the big numbers) are far, far worse. I can also say that with first hand experience, btw-- I have one of those pipes on my e36 M3 race car (385 hp NA, from the S50B32 (euro spec e36 M3 engine)). It's completely dead below 5000 rpm (not what you'd expect from a 385 hp, 2315 lb car :P).
i've been a part of hundred page long discussions on it, but torque and hp can be near analogous, as either one can be geared for, and geared out... the fact it has lower torque.. *should* be COMPLETELY offset by significantly higher hp as well, at the torque's low point.. unless something is very VERY wrong and there's also a power defecit at the same revs.. or there is a much greater torque defecit than there is horsepower gain

though if you look at number 12 with a custom mid pipe.. has the same high end power and the best torque to match, so it really looks like there's something actually quite wrong with the borla midpipe as every single one of those graph entries lowers the torque... i'm guessing it steps down in diameter, or has dodgy bends?.. so yeah i's hazard a guess that it's actually poor design rather than being 'too free flowing' or anything like that :/

would like to know more about it though as that's really super dodgy lol.

as i said, we'll see how the headers stack up against each other... MMW's have been in testing and development since about october (or even before likely), so you can't say they haven't done their work at least lol
Appreciate 0