09-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
I have the alarm, and a steering wheel club. The blinking clown nose, flashing lights and siren beep when I remote lock (for anyone watching) - and the steering wheel club all offer me some peace of mind from the crackhead car thieves out there. Bascially, I want them to move on.

It blows my mind that anyone owning a car without a factory immobilzer don't bother adding at least basic protection to their cars. It takes the average crackhead about 30 seconds to break into and steal an unprotected vehicle. Some of them use modified dent pullers to yank out the ignition key assembly - this takes about 5 seconds, as a lot of newer cars use plastic ignition assemblies.

The latest trick is beaking into new Acura's and stealing the car with the Valet key, which a lot of unaware owners leave in the glove box inside the owner's manual. They arrested one crackhead in Vancouver a few months ago with about 2 dozen valet keys in his possesion. He was driving a brand new, stolen Acura at the time, with - you guessed it - the Valet key in the ignition.
Is this true on the 1 Series? And what alarm would your recommend?

Thanks
Appreciate 0