04-14-2012, 03:34 AM   #18
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
I didn't say that at all. My point is that the OP's philosophy (more top end is better) is a double edged sword, and looking at dynos provides only half the equation (the less important half for me- I'd rather leave a few hp on the table than significantly reduce engine life).

As I said, I'd personally suggest you do 460 rwhp the right way, with bigger turbos- I think the motor would be relatively un-stressed that way vs 420 whp on overstressed stock turbos.
Fair enough Pete :-) My car is running 440bhp (that's UK bhp, as you'll know, UK and US dynos rarely seem to give comparable results) at the flywheel. I'd agree that if the OP is trying to get 460rwhp that's, erm, ambitious, from stock turbos. The jump you seem to have made is in suggesting that because that's what the OP wants, and because he's selected an Evolve tune, that Evolve would blindy try to meet his request. I know, both from my personal experience on my car, and in being at Evolve enough to hear conversations with other cars, that safety of the tune is genuinely their number one concern.

I've been tuning turbo charged cars nearly as long as you (only started in 2001), having taken a 2001 1.8T Audi TT to 500bhp with a Mitsubishi hybrid twin scroll turbo and water injection (along with one or two other components ;-) ), my B5 RS4 to 450, my 535D to 306bhp (none of those with Evolve) and of course my Evolve experience with 135i, 1M - plus having been lucky enough to meet the owners and experience rides in various other Evolve tuned cars.

Along the way, particularly with the TT, I've made mistakes, killed turbos, cracked blocks, wasted money on components and services, had good advice and bad advice. I like to think I've built up the knowledge and experience now to know when a tuner cares about the car and me as a customer, rather than seeing me as a cash-cow. Evolve absolutely care, so I was just a bit put out to see you tar Evolve with the same brush you were tarring the OP with...